THUNDER BAY MUSEUM
Museums#ChooseTBay First Online Retailer DirectoryRegistered Charity
The Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society was created in 1908 to preserve and interpret the history of Northwestern Ontario through lectures, publications, the erection of monuments and plaques, and the preservation of documents.
Among the Society’s many accomplishments in its early years, was the publication of a long series of valuable historical reports and the construction of a monument to the original Fort William fur trading post at the foot of McTavish Street in Thunder Bay. It was unveiled in 1916 by our founding father, Peter McKellar.
By 1942, enough documents and artifacts had been collected to warrant the opening of a museum in the basement of the Brodie Street Library and, in 1972, the Museum moved to new quarters in a former registry office (located at 219 May Street South). Short of space for its growing operations, the Society undertook a major campaign in the mid-1990s to acquire and renovate a former police station and courthouse, which today is the home of the Thunder Bay Museum. Our major exhibit gallery opened in 1997.
The Society’s mandate has always been to serve both the city and district of Thunder Bay in Northwestern Ontario, Canada, and to preserve the history of the entire region. Today an active, efficient organization has assumed responsibilities far beyond those undertaken by its founders. The Society operates as a museum, an archives, and a historical society, and offers a wide range of programs and services in each area.